It seems like a paradox, I know. Chocolate, healthy? Everything we have been taught about health and nutrition seems to be challenged with this statement.
But keep reading and you will find that chocolate can be one the healthiest and yummiest things you can eat.
First of all, I am not talking about your regular Hershey’s bar. I know all too well what happens when I eat regular chocolate like this. My heart races, I get a headache, and I might be grouchy and irritable. Basically, not worth it, especially since Hershey’s is a far cry from what I consider truly delicious chocolate.
What I am talking about is raw, pure, unprocessed cacao, or raw chocolate. In its natural, unadulterated form, “it is the highest antioxidant food on the planet, higher than any other fruit or vegetable.” Because it is so high in antioxidants, it naturally combats the free-radicals in our bodies which cause illness and disease. The following is a brief list of conditions raw cacao can help with:
- heart disease or edema
- asthma – decreases frequency and severity of attacks
- cough/lung problems (in a study it was 1/3 more effective than codeine syrup!)
- weight loss – by decreasing sugar/dessert cravings and satisfying the appetite
- vision/ocular/eye health (high antioxidants improve eye health overall)
- gum disease – extremely beneficial for oral hygiene
- seasonal allergies
- lowers blood sugar levels
- lowers blood pressure
- lowers “bad” cholesterol