It can be extremely difficult to give up certain foods you’re used to eating and depending on. I have personally eaten eggs almost every day for the past “I don’t know how many” years. I love eating them in the morning because they are easy to fix, don’t require defrosting or planning ahead, can hold me over all morning and are relatively inexpensive for a meal. Then there is the whole “what the heck would I eat if I didn’t eat eggs” dilemma.
All of these reasons have kept me eating eggs, until up to about three weeks ago. My belly had had enough. I distinctly heard it say to me one day, “No More EGGS!” Yikes! What was I going to do?
Sigh. Many people email me asking me for breakfast ideas, especially egg-free ones. I have promised them a menu planner…soon. I do have the Egg-Free GAPS Menu Planner available that has one breakfast idea for each week.
However, I have yet to deliver a complete list of recipes and/or menu planner for breakfast ideas that are free of eggs. So, I don’t have a release date yet, but I am planning on compiling an e-book of egg-free breakfast ideas for people who feel just as lost as I do when I comes to facing breakfast in the morning on an egg-free diet. Hooray!
This morning my husband looked at my breakfast inquisitively. He was obviously interested or maybe confused about what I was eating. I told him it was avocado, pear, almonds and coconut butter. He seemed a little impressed, but I don’t think he’s going egg-free anytime soon.
Here’s the recipe to my surprisingly filling breakfast:
Pear, Avocado, Almond and Coconut Butter Breakfast
1/2 avocado, cubed
1/2 ripe pear, cubed
1/4 cup almonds, soaked, dehydrated and chopped coarsely
2 Tbsp coconut butter at room temp. from Artisana
How to make it: Gently mix all the ingredients together and enjoy.
In the end, I had almost two helpings of this, but so far it has held me over and it’s just about lunch time as I write this.
List of Egg-Free Recipe Ideas (also grain, gluten and starch free)
So, I have been compiling a list of breakfast ideas for the egg-free diet. I’m going to list it here and will link whenever possible. In the meantime, I will begin working on compiling the recipes in e-book form and hope to have it available soon. Release date to be announced! If you have more ideas, please feel free to list them in the comments or email me.
Dairy and non dairy:
- Almond milk – can also use cashews and other nuts or seeds
- Coconut milk
- Banana Milk
- Coconut yogurt
- Almond Crème
- Yogurt Cheese (dripped yogurt)
Cereals and granola bars:
- Granola and Granola Bars
- Granola Bars – I use less than 1/4 cup honey and it is more like granola in the end
- Quick Nut Cereal: 1/2 cup any kind of nuts/seeds, finely chopped with your choice of milk
- Berry and Nut Breakfast Bars from Rawvolution by Matt Amsden
Bread and baked goods:
- Egg-free Almond Flour bread
- Egg-free Zucchini and Blueberry Muffins
- Fantastic Dunking Biscuits
Desserts for Breakfast
- Fruit Crumble – I have made this twice in the past couple of weeks and it’s great for breakfast
- Raw Strawberry Pie – I just found this and it looks delicious but I haven’t tried it yet
- Raw Carrot Cake
- No Bake Zucchini Cake – this was a little heavy on the flax – would use less flax next time
- Cinnamon Walnut Cookies – post coming soon!
- Raw Butternut Squash Cookies
(You can add hemp protein powder for extra protein, but I’m still trying to figure out of this is okay on GAPS)
- Blueberry Banana Coconut Smoothie
- Strawberry Almond Shake
- Sunburst Smoothie – orange juice, bananas, dates and ginger root
- Almond Lassi – almond milk, dates, cardamon and black pepper
- Raspberry cream – raspberries, avocados , banana, milk
- Cherry avocado smoothie
- Green smoothie –1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 avocado, 2 cups spinach, coconut milk, water, honey to taste
- Kefir or yogurt smoothie
- Sausage patties
- Left over meatloaf
- Sausage or bacon with sautéed zucchini, mushroom and onion
- Grass fed hotdogs
- Bacon – if you have a brand that is free of sugar, nitrates and preservatives, please share!
- BLT on Eggless almond bread or other bread
- Cauliflower Bacon Hash
- Mexican breakfast burrito – cabbage wrap with sautéed turkey and veggies and salsa
- Italian breakfast burrito – cabbage wrap with ground turkey, beef or chicken, artichoke hearts, pesto, cheese, spinach
- Sauerkraut – I NEVER would have thought I’d be eating sauerkraut for breakfast but I love it
- Yogurt or Kefir
Soup and leftovers for breakfast:
Besides all of these ideas for grain-free and egg-free breakfast ideas, I rely on having soup for breakfast quite often. This is how I have been getting my daily cup of broth by cooking a chopped zucchini, some onion and a cup or so of broth in a pan. I blend everything up once it’s cooked and it feels so nourishing in my belly.
I also eat leftovers from dinner quite often when I’m in a hurry. Sometimes I mix it with some yogurt, depending on what it is.
Well, I guess you can say this is simply an opportunity to be creative in the morning when you jump out of bed! I hope these ideas help you if you’re egg-free and need some breakfast ideas for the morning.
And, I’d love to hear from you! Any more egg-free breakfast ideas you can think of? Would love to hear about them. Thanks!